The ground-breaking for the current church building of the St. James Episcopal Church (now Cathedral of St. James) in South Bend, Indiana was in June of 1894. The cornerstone was laid on July 25th, the feast of St. James. The church was completed in December of 1894.
The architects, Park and Austin, were local to South Bend. The Building is constructed in low pointed English Gothic style of dark red Porter Indiana pressed brick with an abundance of Berea, Ohio cut stone trimings around the tracery windows and doorways. The foundation was constructed from local fieldstone.
The interior attracted particular attention in 1894 because of its oak ceiling with hammer beam trusses, the green-tinted walls and richly carpeted aisles. There was an altar with an elaborate brass cross, candlesticks and vases. The Nave is 44 by 80 feet, with hammer beam trusses and striking stained glass windows.
Today please pray for: